Massages are always pleasant, comforting, relaxing and, therefore, even though the woman is pregnant, she can also enjoy them.
In the first place, scented massages, with creams or oils with too much smell, should be avoided.
And it is that women usually feel hypersensitivity to smells and it may be that these, of such intensity, cause discomfort or repulsion. Also, in some cases they can produce an allergic reaction.
The discomfort of pregnancy can be relieved by receiving specific therapeutic massages for each ailment. If we take into account that 71 percent of pregnant women suffer from low back pain, 46 percent from sciatica , pain caused by inflammation of the sciatic nerve, and 65 percent from pelvic pain, it is easy to understand why this type of massage is increasingly most requested.
However, before receiving massages, it is advisable to take certain care and precautions with massages in pregnancy so that they are totally safe for both the expectant mother and her baby on the way.
1. Avoid Massages With Scented Products . Creams or some essential oils can be harmful to the baby, if they are able to cross the placental barrier. It is important that you use neutral creams and oils. In addition, they will be more pleasant for your nose, if you have experienced a greater sensitivity to odors and some cause you discomfort. Consult with your doctor about the various cosmetic products recommended for pregnant women .
2. Consult Your Specific Case With Your Gynecologist When Receiving A Massage . They will assess your specific circumstances and determine if there is any risk.
3. In The First Trimester, Some Massages Are Discouraged. The massages in the belly, in the lumbar zone or the manipulation in the joints are contraindicated in the first trimester due to the ‘fragility’ of the body. During the first three months of pregnancy, you can receive massages on the shoulders , cervical area, feet or legs .
4. Trust An Accredited Specialist. It is advisable to always be treated by a specialist and in a center where the necessary safety and hygiene measures are met.
5. In The Second TrimesterOf Pregnancy You Can Start Receiving The First Massages. The most recommended posture to receive massages is sitting in a low chair, while the shoulders and head remain supported on something soft. They can also be received lying on the side or side on the left side so as not to press the vena cava or alter the utero-placental exchange that interferes with the breathing of the fetus .
6.In The Third Trimester Of Pregnancy, specialists in obstetric physiotherapy recommend that pregnant women practice massages and stretching of the perineal area from the 35th week of gestation . Women who use this technique prior to delivery are 15 percent less likely to need an episiotomy (incision in the perineum area) during delivery. To avoid incorrect maneuvers, request information from the midwife who is involved in your preparation for childbirth.